just a small town girl,
living in an ESPN-obsessed world

i've always gotten along better with guys,
but living with them is a whole new challenge.


it's ESPN, beer, and guy talk 24-7.


i'm just trying to hold onto my Gossip Girl, lip gloss, and heels.

December 3, 2009

Coffee Making Morphs into a Discussion on Stereotypes

I made coffee this morning.

This is kind of a big deal, because it's only about the 3rd time all semester that I've actually gotten my butt out of bed early enough to make coffee.

I feel a little guilty, because before I moved in I had all of these grand schemes about making the boys coffee every morning and having baked goods on hand at all times. This would probably be the case if I wasn't busy with school and work. The guys haven't been opening any pickle jars or grilling things for me, so I guess I can't feel too guilty about not adhering to my female stereotypes.

This brings me to the ideas of female and male stereotypes. I would definitely consider myself a "modern" woman. I know enough about cars to get by. I work and plan on having my own career in the future. And I love baseball a little more than the average person.

This being said, I still enjoy performing tasks set to me by my membership in the female half of the world. I love to cook and bake. I don't mind cleaning. There are times when I really just want to have kids and be a housewife. In reality, I'm not sure child-rearing and cooking would ever be enough to keep me occupied and happy with my life, but sometimes it seems like an ideal situation.

So when Stephen and Treven are being funny and tell me to make them a sandwich and get them a beer, I don't take it personally. I can always turn the tables and use my status as a female to get them to kill a spider or carry heavy things for me because I'm a defenseless girl.

What's your stance on the subject? Are you a die-hard feminist? Are you a guy who hates being stereotyped as the breadwinning, spider-killing, patio-grilling man of the house? Let's debate!

No comments:

Post a Comment